Saturday, November 15, 2008

My Favorite Magazine

We all know tabloids are junk and celebrity magazines are a waste of brain cells, but I have to say I am a "sucker" for celebrity gossip and news. I definitely understand why people would think that is a waste of time, but for me it's pure entertainment. Just like some of us prefer to watch sports, I prefer to read Us Weekly. Us Weekly is a celebrity magazine that I rely on for the latest fashion news, the best actors and actresses, and breaking stories about the rich and famous. Although some celebrities don't deserve their title because they are fake reality t.v. stars or known only for a sex tape, we can't forget about those actors who actually have talent and whose movies and songs we love. I can depend on Us Weekly for accurate information about these stars. Many tabloid magazines fabricate stories and it is unfair to both the reader and the subject. Us Weekly conducts actual sit-down interviews with these people and sometimes even gets access to their real lives at home. This gives celebrities the chance to prove they are in fact, just like"Us". The magazine targets young women the most, but overall aims at female readers between ages 20 and 40. Almost every issue has a section about what the best products and trends are that season, and it is broken down into three age groups: 20s, 30s, and 40s. The magazine's writing style is very casual. When it comes to breaking news, I almost always find myself engaged throughout the entire two to three page article. The writers manage to do exactly what our text teaches us to do by balancing important facts about a story and the opinion of the magazine. For the most part, the magazine stays neutral. There are times when I'll read about a star being deemed the worst dressed person of the year, but wearing a feather headdress or a bikini for a dress can do that to anyone. What I like most about the magazine is the truth factor. Granted there have been stories where no one knows for sure what the truth is because it is too early to tell or publicists will not confirm anything, but Us Weekly rarely jumps to conclusions. I can definitely respect honesty. Overall, the magazine is engaging. From its entertaining news stories to the latest photographs of celebrities, it's got me hooked.

Link to the magazine online: http://usmagazine.com

1 comment:

camccune said...

Ah, we all have our secret vices...mine include reading mysteries and watching Project Runway.

10/10