Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election NIght Blog

Had Obama not won this year’s election, I would have had the worst week of my life. I remember throwing my absentee ballot away because I told my family I want to be a part of history and actually go into the polls this year to get the full experience. Little did I know that two nights before the election I would be involved in a car accident. I’m definitely thankful to be alive because that accident could have been much worse. The unfortunate part was that I was in a different county with a totaled car, and no way of getting to the polls in time. I thought maybe they would just let me vote since I used to live in Sacramento. I remember frantically calling the voter hotline and being denied that option. I was miserable, but I had a great feeling California would sway his way anyway, and I kept my eye on CNN’s Election Night coverage. I depended on CNN for the coverage because they had by the minute updates and projections. I also liked the way they covered the election, with different anchors in Arizona and Chicago. You could see the excitement in the crowd’s faces as the electoral vote count for Obama began to rise. It made me feel like I was there with the mass of people. I watched for the electoral states, and was in awe to see Obama leading in states like Pennsylvania and Florida. Instead of beating myself up for not making it to the polls, I took in the news coverage with so much excitement. We were really going to make history tonight, and even though my vote was not cast, my choice for president had my support all along.

This year’s election was probably the most interesting one I have ever been a part of. I had the opportunity to vote for the first time in the John Kerry and George Bush election, and I was disappointed my candidate did not win. I did learn however, how important the electoral college votes were. This year, I knew exactly what states to look out for. Of course, I was rooting for Obama all the way. I gave McCain a chance in the beginning because I did not want to be biased but something about Obama’s poise and character captured my attention. I made a connection to him more than McCain, especially because Obama was a minority like me. As a minority, I’ve grown up in America struggling with the idea that this is the white man’s land. I never believed that, but after September 11th, my race had become the new target for jokes and fear, and I felt even more left out. I felt like no one believed me when I came out with an American flag showing my support, when in reality I loved this country and the ideals it was based on. The night of November 4th changed my life. For once, I felt like I was included. I was not proud of our government for the past 8 years like many Americans. I felt detached from our country because of all the damage the Bush administration had done. Other countries hated us. Americans were more divided than ever. There was so much hate going on, I wondered why the government stopped caring about its people? Then came Obama. He was the voice of hope and the idea of “Yes We Can”.

I have to say I’m very happy with the the media coverage during this election. I felt it kept everyone engaged and aware, especially the youth of America who were often criticized for not voting. Seeking a career in media has always been something I wanted to do, and I examined the coverage very carefully this year. Finally on my way back to the bay area, I listened to the AM radio station in my friend’s car. I thought how ironic for me to go from watching the news coverage on cable TV in high definition to one of the early inventions of our time. I was on the road when I received about eight text messages saying “YES WE CAN!!!!!” and “OMG Obama won!!!”; it was a kind of happiness and shock that you will remember for the rest of your life. I was part of history. The effect of hearing his live speech on the radio gave it an even more historical feel. I was full of joy and everything I learned in class about the radio giving audiences a sense of imagination was experienced first hand. Although I am part of the younger generation, I got the chance to experience history the old way, and it was extraordinary.

1 comment:

camccune said...

And by reading your blog post, I got to remember the excitement I felt too. It was a pretty darn amazing night, wasn't it!

I love it that you found out he won by text message while you were on the road. Very cool.

Sorry about your car.